Share This Forum!  

Old 01-10-2006, 05:22 PM   #1
tank1973
SFO Superstar

NSA Canada Response to SPO Website Posting

As you may, or may not, already know, SPO has posted on their website questions “TO HELP CLARIFY THE CONFUSION BEING CREATED" between the NSA CANADA and NSA in Ontario.

Below are the questions that SPO posted (from the SPO website):

1. What does NSA stand for?

2. What is the NSA?

3. What then is NSA Canada?

4. Why is there confusion between them?

5. What is NSA Ontario?

6. Why aren't NSA Ontario and NSA Canada together?

7. Is SPO now a part of NSA?

8. Does NSA Ontario/SPO have to follow the NSA rules?

9. Why did SPO affiliated with NSA?

10. Why did SPO pick NSA?

SPO'S responses are in BLUE

NSA CANADA'S responses are in RED

1. What does NSA stand for?
NSA stands for National Softball Association.

NSA stands for:
National Slo-pitch Athletics (Canada)
National Softball Association (USA)
National Security Agency (USA)
National Speakers Association (USA)
National Stuttering Association (USA) ...
As you can see, “NSA” can stand for many different associations, but only two are slo-pitch related ... but only 1 is 100% Canadian.

2. What is the NSA?
Established in 1982 by the current President, Hugh Cantrell, in Lexington, Kentucky, the National Softball Association is a full service organization that offers a division of play and a level of competition that YOUTH through ADULT can enjoy.
NSA Canada is also a full service slo-pitch organization that offers adults different divisions of play of varying levels, customized prizing, a great insurance package and IS ALSO THE FASTEST GROWING SLO PITCH PROGRAM IN CANADA!!

3. What then is NSA Canada?
NSA Canada was originally formed in Alberta in 1997 as a branch of the NSA in Western Canada. When SPO joined the NSA they decided to sever ties with the NSA but continued operation under a new name National Slo-Pitch Athletics of Canada Inc. This means they now have no connections with the NSA.
If you are reading this ... you know what NSA CANADA is about, but can read more under "About Us" on our homepage www.nsacanada.ca or www.nsaontario.ca .
However, a couple points of clarification ... It is true we were formed in 1997, and originally had an agreement in place with NSA/USA to be able to send teams to the U.S. to compete in their championship events ... at a cost, of course. However, after many years of NSA/USA not abiding to our agreement, NSA CANADA chose to sever ties, continue on our own accord, and become a true 100% Canadian slo-pitch organization by not renewing our agreement with NSA/USA. This was done prior to, and not as a result of, SPO announcing their affiliation with NSA/USA.

What is interesting to point out, "affiliation" with any slo-pitch organization in Canada comes with insurance for the players, rules to play by, and in many cases - umpires ... and this "affiliation" all comes with an associated cost. NSA/USA does not provide insurance ... SPO even states that you don't play by the NSA/USA rules ... and NSA/USA does not provide umpires!!!

We didn't renew our agreement for those, and other reasons. So why is SPO paying NSA/USA for "affiliation", when any team can go down to the U.S. and "affiliate" for about $15 US, and play in these NSA/USA events? Maybe not a question for me to ask, but one better for their membership to ask SPO!

4. Why is there confusion between them?
It is unfortunate that when NSA Canada left the NSA they kept the same initials and similar logo. Obviously this is very confusing to the teams, players and umpires. Just remember NSA and NSA Ontario (aka SPO) are together and NSA Canada is a separate group from Alberta.
NSA Canada is a separate "National Program" from Canada.

Why is there confusion??? SPO chose to affiliate with NSA/USA, and now is trying to pose as “NSA Ontario” rather than under their own banner of SPO and Softball Canada. SPO has even gone as far as trying to cloud the waters by running their championships the same weekends as NSA CANADA - ONTARIO. Mr. Buchan seems to be "the pot ... calling the kettle black"?

Maybe it should be said that it is “unfortunate” that SPO now wants to be known as NSA Ontario, using the “same letters” as NSA Canada, which was already operating in Ontario when that decision was made.

As for the “similar logo”? What is similar? The words “NSA Canada Slo-pitch” with the maple leaf? Since when does an American organization have “Canada” with a maple leaf on their logo?

They say the best form of flattery is when someone tries to emulate you. SPO wanting to be known as "NSA Ontario", and moving their championships to compete on the same weekends as NSA CANADA - ONTARIO is truly recognition for the FANTASTIC job Provincial Director - Ron Poulton and his Director Team in Ontario have done ... especially since many of them were suspended!!! Hopefully, Tom Buchan won't change his name to Ron Poulton, too!!! LOL

Keep up the great work Ontario Directors ... 2006 is going to be an even bigger and better year!!!

5. What is NSA Ontario?
NSA Ontario is a branch of NSA responsible for all NSA softball in Ontario and is closely affiliated with Slo-Pitch Ontario. NSA Ontario is a registered name and the property of Slo-Pitch Ontario.
The Ontario slo-pitch community is aware that the "NSA Ontario" label SPO now wants to use is just a smoke screen attempt by SPO to try and prevent the growth of NSA CANADA throughout Ontario by "trying" to confuse people. Does SPO even know what to call themselves without adding "a.k.a"?

NSA CANADA always has, is, and always will be “THE” slo-pitch organization built by players, for the players; listening too, and adapting to players needs and wants. NSA Canada gives the Ontario slo-pitch community more credit, and while maybe a bit confusing currently, they will differentiate NSA CANADA - ONTARIO from SPO eventually. Remember, it is about CHOICE!

6. Why aren't NSA Ontario and NSA Canada together?
With NSA Canada leaving NSA NSA Canada had nothing to offer NSA Ontario and NSA Ontario wanted the benefits of affiliation with the premier softball association in the US.
First of all, SPO NEVER had the opportunity to join NSA Canada. SPO is part of Softball Canada and should remain part of their organization. I doubt SPO has the option to ‘break away’ from their program as they have implied.

SPO says they "wanted the benefits of affiliation with the premier softball association in the US" ... what about building, maintaining, and reinvesting in your own Canadian program? At $12-$15 US per affiliating team ... you do the math on where your money is going ...

Less than 1% of our NSA Canada affiliated teams wanted to spend their own money to travel to the U.S. to play slo-pitch. Instead, we have reinvested the thousands of dollars wanted by NSA/USA into our NSA Canada program, and have been able to offer the largest (and only) cash prizes at our National Championship events in a variety of divisions! NSA/USA could care less whether you send 1 team, or 1,000 teams. NSA/USA seized the opportunity to generate American funds at teams expense by having SPO pay for every team.

7. Is SPO now a part of NSA?
No. SPO is still the same non-profit organization and a member of Softball Ontario and Softball Canada. SPO has just expanded their contacts and opportunities with this affiliation.
Let's see here ... you say you are not part of NSA, you are still SPO and part of Softball Canada ... but want to be known as "NSA Ontario"??? I don't think the ball players are the only ones confused!!!

The players are not stupid, Tom. You are, and always will be SPO. You can call yourself whatever you want, but you are still SPO - a Provincial organization.

Why is SPO trying to fool people? They emulate NSA Canada by trying to add/change their name to NSA Ontario, and why? Are tournament team numbers declining and you want teams to think they can win wonderful NSA Canada prizing playing your “NSA Ontario”? Teams will be fooled for only so long.

I would say SPO sold itself to a US Softball Organization for the “opportunity” to send teams to the US, if they pay their own way … but I can’t …“sold itself”, implies SPO is receiving the money. Instead … you ARE PAYING THEM!!!

And who is confused???

8. Does NSA Ontario/SPO have to follow the NSA rules?
No. Only when our teams travel south to participate will they have to follow the NSA rules. Now that's not to say that over the years we won't adapt some of their rules that we like.
So why are you paying NSA/USA affiliation dollars for again?

9. Why did SPO affiliated with NSA?
While we do have the ability to send teams to the Softball Canada Canadian Championship, unfortunately because of their rules requiring teams from a majority of Provinces/Territories and a limit on the number of teams from each Province Softball Canada only offer SP Championships in Mens A and Ladies Competitive. Many of our members have asked for further competitions after the Provincials. We have unsuccessfully worked with Softball Canada to provide Canada wide championships at the non-elite levels. With their inability to meet our members’ needs we looked into possible opportunities south of the border. For over 2 years we researched, evaluated and held discussions with the 3 major softball organizations in the US. We eventually decided on the NSA and in January 2005 finally closed the deal.

Continued on next thread...

Last edited by tank1973; 01-10-2006 at 05:31 PM.
tank1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 05:33 PM   #2
tank1973
SFO Superstar

NSA Canada Response to SPO Website Posting Continued

Hmmm ... That sounds exactly what NSA CANADA already offers with 300+ team tournaments in British Columbia, several 150+ teams tournaments in Alberta ... and all catering to ballplayers of all ages and skill level. I'm sure that it won't be long before NSA CANADA - ONTARIO begins hosting several 100+ team events throughout the season for players to come out enjoy slo-pitch and the best prizing out there ... the NSA CANADA WAY!!!

10. Why did SPO pick NSA?
First, from our research, we determined that their rules and their philosophy best matched ours and second, they were just nice people to work with.

Or was it that NSA CANADA was expanding into Ontario and Eastern Canada at an alarming rate and was going to become a true Canadian National Program with great representatives across Ontario???

SPO’s research determined that” their rules and their philosophy best matched ours”? Yet SPO just stated they don't use the NSA/USA rules. And as for philosophy ... does that mean taking money from someone and providing nothing in return (no insurance, no rules, no umpires)? Birds of a feather, I guess!

In closing, this rebuttal was to present “the other side” to the questions provided by SPO, and to hopefully shed some light for those individuals who have come across statements and insinuations made against NSA Canada by SPO. SPO’s actions, double talk, threats and slanderous comments during the past year towards the players, umpires and directors in Ontario, and NSA Canada, has done more to promote NSA Canada throughout Ontario than you can imagine.

You see Mr. Buchan, NSA Canada believes competition is healthy; it keeps people honest! Nobody owns the game of slo-pitch. Whether people play NSA Canada, SPN, or SPO in Ontario, they are playing! While you feel the need to try and force people to play SPO, or confuse them, we feel it is about choice.

The only real confusion is how you remain in your position!

If anyone would like any additional information, please visit us at www.nsacanada.ca or www.nsaontario.ca and click-on “Contact Us”.

Cheers,
NSA Canada
Canada’s Fastest Growing Slo-pitch Organization

Cc: Tom Buchan, SPO aka ...
Old 01-10-2006, 07:29 PM   #3
Playball
Rookie

SPO wanting to be known as NSA Ontario is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. what is next?
Playball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 08:16 PM   #4
Chris27
Seasoned Vet

Well that was interesting.... But who really cares.... NSA Canada, NSA Ontario, NSA, SPO, SPC

WHO CARES??? People will play where they want.... I just find it funny that all anyone seems to do is now sling mud at each other in the ORG's. As a player I am just sick of all this ****.... REALLY...
Last year NSA was upset with SPN... are they now upset with SPO?
Yes I know SPO posted it but NSA seems to have added there own little commentary... Honestly if I was NSA I would have let it go and work that much harder to become the #2 Org in Canada... not write a rebutal!

I enjoy what NSA has done in Ontario the past season.. Grow on what you did last year and build a solid core.... Forget what others are doing and worry about your own product! You will be just fine...

Cheers
Whit
Chris27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 09:19 PM   #5
Deuce
Combat™

I don't think the question should be who is number 2, i think the question should be why would any organization go through all this trouble to make softball confusing and difficult for the end user?? My question is this...are SPN and SPO working together on this? Everything that has happened this year with SPO changing their provincials to changing there name seems like a move they would work together on...any one else think this?

Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 09:54 PM   #6
Vale
Go Bruins Go

Come on Clifft enough is enough

OK OK well I have kept my mouth shut long enough now... and I think this has gone to far now, Cliffy I am calling you out I want a quote and I want documentation where NSA in anyway bad mouthed any organization? NSA got picked on all year and thanks to the players we made it through the year and came out on top, and we will carry that adrenaline with us into 2006, but I am not going to come on here and read about someone saying we had any problems with any of the organization... your statements are all false and I think you may want to change you post.
Vale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 10:04 PM   #7
tank1973
SFO Superstar

Shane and Jesse I agree with you 100%. Also we are strongly working on being #1 in Canada not #2.

SSJ Rays #55
Here Comes the BOOM #55
Big Bang #55
Capitol Punishment#55
Old 01-10-2006, 11:12 PM   #8
Chris27
Seasoned Vet

Ummmmmm I am not saying Bad mouthing anyone... Show me where above I said that Shane...... My comment was everyone is Slinging MUD... And I mean everyone... All ORGS....

I am just sick of hearing people complain how since they became part of NSA they are no black balled by other Organizations. If you can honestly sit there and say that one has said that in the past 12 months than shake that head of yours... Because I remember many threads here saying "Iwas kicked of SPN's website because I am part of NSA.... I jave been suspended because I am part of NSA... I can no longer Ump SPN because I am part of NSA....

At no point have I ever bad mouth NSA. I have many friends in NSA including Ron P. I have always been open with Ron about how I think things are going and I enjoy the talks that I have with him over the course of last season....

Everyone in NSA Canada that is in Ontario... Should stop worrying about what the other ORG's are doing and worry about your own..... This is not a bad remark... I think its a smart one.... The more work you put forward into your own Organization will benifet the player and everyone in NSA Canada in the long run....
The more you worry about what everyone else is doing will only set you back more...

As for SPO and SPN working together.... I have no idea as I am not affiliated with either.... But from what I have seen SPO doing for this coming season I see it as a smart business move on there part... Nothing more...

So the next question..... What will SPN, SPO and NSA do now that Chris Salsbury is bringing WSA to Ontario this coming season??? I would hope that none of them will pay attention to any of it and go out about there own business.......

The players in Ontario have never had it better as they will in 2006... Many choices and lots of great ball.....

See some of you on Sunday.... I am sure we will have much to talk about!

Cheers
Whit
Old 01-11-2006, 12:18 AM   #9
adam
SFO Moderator

I would have to agree a little with everyone on this one.......

It sucks for NSA that SPO has changed their name which adds to the confusion. Also SPO has changed all of their provincial weekends and (I think) they now coincide with NSA's weekends.....

I'm not sure who wrote that rebuttal to SPO's statement however I don't think that it is going to help NSA at all. It seems that NSA has become frustrated with all of the changes that the other organizations are making around them and understandably so. I think that it is NSA's best option to not worry about the moves that the other orgs are making but rather focus on improving their already good product. NSA has some very good ideas and very good people working for them. I don't think that they need to bother arguing via the internet with statements made by others. Focus on making the product great and the players will take notice and choose appropriately.

Just my $0.02.....

And Cliffy is right, the WSA is REALLY going to screw things up!!!!!!! LOL
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 01:04 AM   #10
Vale
Go Bruins Go

Originally Posted by Clifford
Last year NSA was upset with SPN... are they now upset with SPO?
I am pretty sure your quote is right here, am I reading this wrong or does this not say that NSA has a problem with organizations? Cliffy now come on here we are not all stupid we know what/who you favor most, and yes as we are all players we just want to play no matter of the organizations, and really it doesn't matter who you are friends with in what organization, as I have personally seen how good of friends I really had this past season. I am done with this topic I am a player I want to play ball I want to meet new people and new friends and that's what slo-pitch was meant for, so lets all gear up for 2006 and enjoy playing what we love.
Vale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 03:26 AM   #11
Chris27
Seasoned Vet

Shane,
That statement is exactly what it says... Last year it was about how anyone involved with NSA couldn't do anything right by SPN... most of the 2005 was talk about NSA people being suspended or being banned from Forums for flogging the NSA name or whatever else... and now we are 11 days into 2006 and its now about SPO and its ties to NSA in the states.

As for whom I favor... I don't honestly favor anyone...... Last time I checked I played more SPO and NSA than anything else... Do I have friends in all of the ORGS sure... Some good friends in SPN, NSA Canada and SPO... Do I favor one over the other not really... If I did I would not have played certain ones... Not the case...

Like I said before... 2006 will be a great year for the players... More choices and NSA had a good startup year in Ontario... I hope to see Ron continue improving NSA on and off the field.

Cheers
Whit
Old 01-11-2006, 08:17 AM   #12
Deuce
Combat™

Originally Posted by Clifford
Ummmmmm I am not saying Bad mouthing anyone... Show me where above I said that Shane...... My comment was everyone is Slinging MUD... And I mean everyone... All ORGS....

I am just sick of hearing people complain how since they became part of NSA they are no black balled by other Organizations. If you can honestly sit there and say that one has said that in the past 12 months than shake that head of yours... Because I remember many threads here saying "Iwas kicked of SPN's website because I am part of NSA.... I jave been suspended because I am part of NSA... I can no longer Ump SPN because I am part of NSA....

At no point have I ever bad mouth NSA. I have many friends in NSA including Ron P. I have always been open with Ron about how I think things are going and I enjoy the talks that I have with him over the course of last season....

Everyone in NSA Canada that is in Ontario... Should stop worrying about what the other ORG's are doing and worry about your own..... This is not a bad remark... I think its a smart one.... The more work you put forward into your own Organization will benifet the player and everyone in NSA Canada in the long run....
The more you worry about what everyone else is doing will only set you back more...

As for SPO and SPN working together.... I have no idea as I am not affiliated with either.... But from what I have seen SPO doing for this coming season I see it as a smart business move on there part... Nothing more...

So the next question..... What will SPN, SPO and NSA do now that Chris Salsbury is bringing WSA to Ontario this coming season??? I would hope that none of them will pay attention to any of it and go out about there own business.......

The players in Ontario have never had it better as they will in 2006... Many choices and lots of great ball.....

See some of you on Sunday.... I am sure we will have much to talk about!

Cheers
Whit
As far as people complaining about being black balled/not being allowed to ump both NSA and SPN etc etc...it is all true! Just look at the last 5 or 6 names on the spn suspension list for proof. Shane is a friend and I know he is always respectful on the field, yet his name is on the suspension list for things he has aledgadly (hope it is spelled right) said about SPN. You are right this all needs to stop. I would love to see all those names dropped off the suspension list, and umps being allowed to ump what they want when they want...but unfortunatly I have no control in this as i am just a player and convenor. Lets hope we all decide to take the high road this year.

Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote