Softball Discussion Everything to do with softball

Share This Forum!  

Old 04-12-2010, 02:31 PM   #1
kavanagh
this is custom!!

Swing Mechanics

Hey looking for some opinions on swing mechanics, im wondering about follow through.

How many people let go with the top hand?

How many keep ahold with both hands until they drop the bat?

I used to always let go, feels more natural, but after 8 or 9 shoulder dislocations, number 6 being on the follow through of a swing (poor back catcher didnt know what happened, haha) i had to revamp and force myself to not let go. Last year i noticed a BIG difference in "power" i never had a lot to start with but what i did have was gone, was it my swing? or was it the muscle lost from off season shoulder surgery?? I've got a full season in post surgery and im debating going back to letting go....would like some advice!!

FINALLY REMEMBERED HOW TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE
kavanagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:46 PM   #2
joelgreek
The Nfld Monster

A lot of extra power comes from the follow through letting your top hand fall off of your bat....if you are a person that 'whips' the bat through the zone, I don't see how you can hold onto the bat with both hands AND keep the power up...

I would let go of the bat with the top hand....here's an extra bit of advice - learn a modified overlap grip....a can get an extra 30-50 ft. distance with the extra whip I gt from my modified overlap grip.

hope this helps

Joel

28 oz. '08 Stealth
27 oz. '06 Rockettech
28 oz. '03 PST Xtra
27 oz. '12 SP12SY98H
27 oz. '12 SP12ST100

my GTG list:

N&B17, Forgy23, capersaway X4, hittnhard, Dooleys 49, Snatchby, The Enemy, Stutterboi, Nolti25, Jon Sportsguy, Signguy, Joshcowman, Mickoslav, j-bells, Paulie9, Forbstar49, MVP, VEGAS X 1,000,000 and others.
joelgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 03:46 PM   #3
freddiepee
Seasoned Vet

Originally Posted by joelgreek View Post
A lot of extra power comes from the follow through letting your top hand fall off of your bat....if you are a person that 'whips' the bat through the zone, I don't see how you can hold onto the bat with both hands AND keep the power up...

I would let go of the bat with the top hand....here's an extra bit of advice - learn a modified overlap grip....a can get an extra 30-50 ft. distance with the extra whip I gt from my modified overlap grip.

hope this helps

Joel
I'll second that. I've recently changed to an overlap grip and noticed a huge difference in whip and power. Just takes some getting used to and can hurt your bottom hand a bit if you drop your pinkie below the knob of the bat.

"No longer a SS free agent"

freddiepee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 03:52 PM   #4
HAMZ17
Tweet @dhamz17

i've been messin around a bit with an overlap grip...anyone got a photo for an example?
Old 04-12-2010, 04:10 PM   #5
ecdragon
Seasoned Vet

i put a huge amount of whip into my swing, i release top hand.

your example is pretty vague, i dont' know if the overlap grip is really addressing your problem ( i use overlap myself) but if i was to advise you strictly on your shoulder problem, i'd recommend that u focus turning your entire body to follow through to put less strain on your shoulder. sometimes i'd torque so much with my swing that i 'recoil' back.

visually, i'm a righty hitter, my belly button is pointing towards the 1b coach preswing, and it'll end up pointing to the left of the 3b coach post swing, pivoting off the toes of the back foot and heels of the front foot.
your body has to follow your arm around to reduce the strain on the shoulder.
ecdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 04:14 PM   #6
Legend 94
Post Ore

Originally Posted by HAMM17 View Post
i've been messin around a bit with an overlap grip...anyone got a photo for an example?

Legend 94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:16 PM   #7
Monty
#22 Canucks

Originally Posted by HAMM17 View Post
why dont you try makin decent contact with ball and then try f'in around
Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:15 PM   #8
kavanagh
this is custom!!

Thanks boys, keep the opionins coming!!

Joel i tried a small over lap last year, but i dont think i had the strengh for it to make a difference, haha, maybe i'll try it again this year. I think i'll start the season with the same ol same ol, and see if it was just the lack of strenght, if it doesnt help i'll try some tweaks like a overlap, and maybe even changing the follow through with one hand.

The two handed follow through leaves a righty like me in an akward position getting out of the box....and when ya can barely get the ball out of the INF it helps to get out the box quick, lol.

FINALLY REMEMBERED HOW TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE
kavanagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:19 PM   #9
HAMZ17
Tweet @dhamz17

Originally Posted by Monty View Post
ohhhh,,,so that's how you get to be a "butt pirate"....
Old 04-13-2010, 01:07 AM   #10
blackknight
Vinci Rep

Originally Posted by joelgreek View Post

hope this helps

Joel

This is just not true on an average. You can gain some leverage advantages, but you won't be gaining 50ft.

My advice.. Buy the Swing Mechanics videos and go through the drills explained.. Practice, Practice, Practice..
blackknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:17 AM   #11
beef53
Go Wings!

Originally Posted by Monty View Post
booooo on you monty, hamm17 was lights out on the weekend....if he keeps that up he might let you carry his cup...wait, he doesn't wear one in the OF...maybe he'll just let you cup his balls and pretend it's a cup

Originally Posted by HPower View Post
How does a London softball player screw in a light bulb...He just holds the bulb and lets the rest of the softball world revolve around him.
HurricAnes -End of the road
beef53 is offline   Reply With Quote